Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My 'mobile' gaming setup..!

Dear all,
    This is my first blog after a gap of nearly 7 years! Just thought I would share my experiences with my brand new gaming setup. My 'mobile' gaming setup includes,

MSI GS70 Stealth Laptop
Razer Deathadder mouse
Razer Street fighter anniversary mousemat
Denon ah-d1100 headphones
ASUS ROG Nomad backpack


Why a 'mobile' gaming setup?
    I tend to travel around a lot so getting a gaming desktop or a new gen console was out of the question. Once I decided to go down the gaming laptop route, there was a lot of confusion regarding which laptop to go for. It took about six months to research ( and save money!) to finally make my decision.

MSI GS70 Stealth


Simply put, It is the thinnest and lightest 17 inch gaming laptop in the world! How did I choose MSI? Well it wasnt an easy decision but here are a few points to consider.

Price - This is the biggie! I set my budget around the 1000 pound  mark. It is very difficult to resist the tempation to keep upgrading you laptop and you end up going well over budget.


Options - I restricted myself to five main options. Alienware, ASUS, MSI, XMG or a custom made laptop with a clevo barebones model.

Screen size - Depends on how mobile you want your laptop to be. I was initially looking for atleast a 15 inch screen but then settled for a 17 inch screen. - more like a desktop replacement albeit a 'lightweight' one.

Main specifications -    Intel quad core i7 4700 Haswell processor (2.4 - 3.4 GHz), Steelseries backlit keyboard, Full HD (1920x1080) anti glare matte display, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm drive, 4 x USB 3.0 ports, HDMI out (supports even 4K displays!), soundblaster cinema.

How is the performance - I m not a technical expert and detailed reviews including framerate (FPS) analysis for popular games are available elsewhere online. All I can say is that, I have had this laptop now for close to a month and it is seriously awesome! The system itself is so silent (mainly due to the SSD) that sometimes i have to press my ear close to it! The only major game I have played on it so far is 'Far Cry 3' and the graphics are so smooth. For less demanding games like DOTA and LOL - the gaming experience is excellent. It does not have an inbuilt DVD/Bluray drive however I have a samsung external DVD drive. The full HD 17 inch display is great for gaming and movies.

Razer Deathadder mouse


Snapped this up on an offer in Amazon. Smooth mouse, awesome looking, very comfortable to use.

Razer Street fighter anniversary mousemat


Silky smooth, light weight, nostalgic mouse mat.. If it was larger, I could sleep on it!


Denon ah-d1100 headphones



Cool looking, lightweight and excellent sound! Goes well with the soundblaster cinema surround in built with the MSI GS70.

ASUS ROG Nomad backpack

And finally .. this 'predator' looking backpack (on the right) to carry my gaming setup safely. I also use a MSI provided laptop sleeve for additional protection. As it is more or less a desktop replacement, I dont move it around a lot but if needed this backpack is solid and reliable. ASUS said the girls were not included ..;-)

Thats all folks! Any comments / questions are welcome!!


5 comments:

vprajan said...

Oooo.. 1000 pounds for a gaming laptop..!! you rock!!..

I loved the HDMI out (supports even 4K displays!).. Is 4K displays around already in UK?? enjoy gaming!!

masterchiefmams said...

Thanks Rajan! Similar config in alienware (which is almost double the weight!) is approx 1600 pounds! Apple mac laptop minimum price is around 900 pounds .. cannot even come close to my specs!

masterchiefmams said...

4K displays are available but ridiculously expensive!!

pulsar said...

Awesome portable rig. I personally am exactly the opposite.. when it comes to portability. I have to stay at home 80% of the time.. other than the 20% when I take the kids out :) .. Overall the specs look excellent. Looking forward to a lot of gaming!

masterchiefmams said...

Thanks Arun. I m aiming to setup a watercooled monster with a three monitor display in Madurai home sometime in the near future!